Monday, May 10, 2010

yumminess all around.

            Well, May 7th counted as my one month anniversary as a VEGAN! WOO HOO! It went by so fast, I love it! I'm having so much fun trying all these new recipes, feeling wonderful, and eating all this tasty food, If I do say so myself. :) I get more and more excited everyday about becoming a vegan all the time. Between the food, my soft skin, my happy belly (and bladder), my head that hasn't had a headache in a while, and knowing that I'm making a difference, I get excited a lot, which makes for a very happy me!

So here is some of the yummy food I was talking about...
 This is just tomatoes, carrots, cucumber, and I think that's parsley but I'm not sure, I just like to put leaves on things to make it look pretty, with some balsamic vinaigrette over it. I made it again a couple days ago and added some quinoa which I had never tried but it was very yummy with this! 

 Then for a breakfast I had at school where we all I had to bring something I brought...
 MUFFINS!!!
They were soo good. I found the recipe on vegweb.com under "simple muffins" But I changed it a little bit. I used whole wheat flour, applesauce instead of the oil, and added a teaspoon of vanilla and about a 1/4 cup of walnuts. Everyone loved them, including my mom who ate the last two! :)
Okay and then for Mother's day, my mom asked for red velvet cake and of course I wanted to veganize it so I found a recipe online, I don't remember where, I think I just googled vegan red velvet cake and used the first one that came up. But there is a funny story that should be heard before looking at the picture. After making the batter I realized we didn't have any red food coloring, therefore we made green velvet cake, therefore the cake looks a lot healthier than it actually is. But for my first vegan cake I think the taste turned out pretty good. The icing was delicious! I got a little bit of a tummy ache from licking the bowl :) It was Earth Balance, confectioners sugar, a little almond milk and some vanilla. For the cake it was the only thing different I did from the recipe was I used applesauce again instead of the oil and it called for distilled white vinegar but I just used apple cider vinegar. Okay so here's this lovely looking cake... Also mind you this one has been wrapped in foil for a day because I didn't have my camera yesterday, and the whole cake had a big chunk missing from where my little brother took a big handful out of it, He loved it, everyone else I think had their favorite red velvet cake taste in their mind so mine was a little questionable. :) 
 Next time I'll make sure I have red food coloring so it at least looks like the real thing.
And I don't have a picture of it with me, but I have to say my wonderful mother made me a very tasty whole wheat pasta with a tomato sauce that was awesome! I put some sunflower seeds on it and some basil (again for looks) and ate almost the whole plate! Go Mom!! 

So there's been my food for a little while and a glimpse into my vegan life so far. Over the summer, I'm thinking I want to do like a Julia and Julia type thing where I try a new vegan recipe at least once a week, I can't wait! 



No comments:

Post a Comment